Tuesday, June 12, 2012

A Little Tweaking.

One of our dear family members is a twelve year old gas guzzling SUV, that I have lovingly named, The Beast.  The Beast is completely paid for and holds great sentimental value to me and my husband.  It has been there for us from the time our kids were little, every family vacation, every move.  Can you tell that I am a sentimental person?  Our SUV, due to its age, has lots of quirks.  The teens don't find these quirks as endearing as I do, but nevertheless, The Beast sails on.  One quirk is a sticky shifter. ( I'm sure that isn't what it's really called, but that's my name for it.)  Sometimes you think The Beast is in park, but it's not quite engaged and therefore will not start.  It isn't in drive, but it's stuck somewhere in between.  After muscling the sticky shifter farther to the left, it starts up like a charm.  Quite frankly, it completely slipped my mind until the other day when I was at the store.  I turned the ignition and to my surprise, it wouldn't start.  After saying a quick prayer and muscling the shifter to the left, I recalled the SUV's little quirk.  I get so used to the hiccups of the SUV that I don't really even think about them anymore until I am inconvenienced.

That's kind of how I think of Addison's.  It's pretty manageable, and I don't really think of it too much until I am inconvenienced.  I sail along, aware of my "quirks" yet still moving down the road.  The inconveniences seem to come when I pick up a virus or when I have just pushed my body too far.  Addison's can be manageable, but can be exacerbated by underlying conditions and illnesses.  An Addison's body reacts to illness much faster than a non-Addison's body, and takes much longer to recover.  This is true in regards to something as "innocent" as a cold. 

If a healthy person takes good care of their body, their body will generally be kind to them.  If an Addison takes good care of their body, it increases the possibility that their body will be kind to them.  If I can increase my odds of my body being kind to me, count me in! 

I went to see my chiropractor yesterday for a visit long overdue.  I felt great after an adjustment and was told that my hips where a bit cock eyed and shifted out of place.  Could The Zumba be the culprit?  Maybe so.  I guess The Beast and I have something in common, we have a tendency to get stuck in the wrong gear and need a little tweaking. 

Whether you have a healthy body or a challenged body, it is easy just to sail along and forget about the maintenance.  Especially if your a mom.  We tend to get so busy that it's easy to forget.  It's summer, things are slowing down...what a great time for us to be kind to ourselves and take some time for a little tweaking!

Blessings,
Alicia

2 comments:

  1. Alicia, It's so hard to remember to slow down when we feel a "burst" of energy, isn't it? I think I overdid it today, but it was beautiful outside here in Chicago. I did a lot of little things in the yard, and, now at bedtime I am exhausted! But, I had a good time!
    mo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Mo! It sure is! I have the hardest time pacing myself, but I'm learning. That is awesome that you enjoyed some time outside and were able to do some yardwork. How are you doing today? Hopefully you were able to recover alright...it really stinks how those fun times cost us a bit doesn't it? I love your Lucy user photo btw! My daughter and I are both big I Love Lucy fans!

      Delete