Monday, May 14, 2012

The curious case of the expanding derrieire.

"Mom don't you want to try one of my blueberry muffins?  They are dairy free."

"I know, but are they sugar and flour free?"

"No"

"Honey, I really, really, really want to, but today I have decided to cut out the white sugar and flour.  You don't know how badly, I want one, but I have gained 17 pounds and my clothes don't fit."

"Well, mom, your not fat, you just have a big butt, and you like having a big butt, don't you?"


This is the conversation that I just had with my seventeen year old daughter.  I think she was actually trying to complement me?  But she is right.  I think the entire 17 pounds that I have gained since my diagnosis have gone right to my rear.  However, is she correct that I like it?  Goodness, no! 

While it's curious to me how weight has managed to just park itself in one big old spot, I think I know where it might have come from.  Long before my diagnosis I noticed that white flour and white sugar along with other processed foods would launch me into a  horrible stupor that I couldn't seem to shake.  These little white devils are not good for anyone whether they are ill or not, but it does seem to be a common thread that I have observed between us Addison's.  Knowing full well that these ingredients make me feel awful, should be the end of the conversation.  Not so much.  I seem to be drawn to them with cravings of a food beast that could put "The Hulk" to shame.  It doesn't seem to help that my daughter makes the yummiest of cupcakes.  So while curious, I do believe the following is the culprit.  Warning****the following photo may awaken your inner food beast so proceed with caution, and don't say I didn't warn you.

So................for the next two weeks, I am challenging myself to not eat any white flour or white sugar.  I'm telling you about it, because I have heard that having such public accountability helps achieve goals.  I am curious to see how this change in my diet effects my Addison symptoms....so stay tuned because I will be reporting.

I went back to Zumba this morning.  I know it is probably a bit more intense than what I should be doing, but I just find it to be so much fun!  I did pretty well through my workout, but did adjust the level of intensity to suit my needs.  I stopped to take a half of a hydrocortisone pill 45 minutes into the class.  I was pretty tired afterward, and did take an hour nap this afternoon.  I guess it's the whole give and take to this disease.  With that being said, I must now post a photo of my incredibly healthy white flour and white sugar free lunch to balance out the evil photo that I posted above.



Tonight is my ballroom dance class.  My husband and I have been taking lessons for a few months now.  I have to pace myself, and I bring a big glass of water with me.  It is a miracle to me to be able to take these classes!  Prior to my diagnosis I was so dizzy and faint feeling there was no way I could even walk into the class let alone handle the turns and spins.  I'm posting a cute video of one of our first lessons.  This was about our third lesson in Swing.  We have come a long way since then, but I love seeing us have fun together.  I hope you enjoy the video too!  This illness is certainly a journey, some days are dancing kind of days, and others are not.  I'm learning to accept both.


Blessings!
Alicia

No comments:

Post a Comment