Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mother's Day and learning to rest.

Yesterday was a complete "hit the wall" kind of a day.  The kind where exhaustion takes over and turns into a stupor that I just can't shake.  However, true to form with Addison's a new day brings a whole new experience.  I woke up refreshed and full of energy, clear vision, clear mind, ready for the day kind of a day!  Praise God!  I will consider that another one of His gifts to me on this Mother's Day.
I have been trying lately to learn flexibility, and to be okay with slowing down when my body just won't be pushed any further.  Today's sermon at church was so timely for me.  Don't you just love it when that happens?  We were studying Isaiah 30 and the Israelites defiance in doing things their way, and stubbornly following their own path.  God gave instructions through Isaiah that
they were to be still and rest and quietly wait and trust in the Lord, and that is where their strength would come from.  Sometimes I feel like the Israelites during that time, ready to ride off on my swift horse pursuing what I believe I want or need for my life. Even though I feel so frustrated with my health and chronic fatigue and pain, those quiet times are serving a purpose.  I will see that purpose much easier if I calmly trust God through them.

After church today we went home to change,  and grabbed some fried chicken and sides to take to the park.  We strolled the Botanical Gardens.  I was huffing and puffing a bit up the hill, and my husband asked if I had remembered my medication.  Of course, I had forgotten.  Actually, I was hoping that I might just be okay without my afternoon dose after taking extra yesterday, but that just isn't how it works.  After taking 10mgs of hydrocortisone and resting for a moment, I was ready to finish our stroll.

I treasure these times with my family, and am learning find joy in those quiet moments as I trust God.

Happy Mother's Day! 
Blessings,
Alicia

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Alicia, for sharing your story. I can relate very much to your struggle with chronic fatigue. He is present with us through the hard days. He gives power to the faint, and to him who has no might he increases strength. I love Isaiah. A belated Happy Mother's Day! ~Debbie

    ReplyDelete