Thursday, May 17, 2012

Sometimes, actually, often times, sorting through Addison's symptoms and separating them from regular ailments can leave me quite discouraged.  I put on a brave face and muddle through it on my own.  In my mind, I picture doctors as an image very similar to the mad scientist that Gene Wilder portrayed in Young Frankenstein.  You know, the kind of doctor who will proudly announce that my pain is in fact from "The Zumba"  send me home with a muscle relaxer, wink of the eye, and a "good day!"

I woke up today still feeling awful, which really isn't par for the course for me for this long of a stretch.  My regular Addison's days, while sometimes inconvenient, are fairly manageable.  This week has been pain, and a realization that my body was fighting really hard against something not quite right. 

The Diabetes and Glandular Clinic that I go to has a walk in clinic for sick visits.  I felt this would be a good place to start.  I had narrowed down my symptoms to a very sore throat, body aches, pain in my lower back, and a burning feeling in the bladder region.  After being seen by the doctor it was determined that I have strep.  She prescribed an antibiotic, which I just started taking.  Remember my post about Zumba?  It turns out, "The Zumba" was really a large kidney stone that I have had.  It seems to be repositioning itself, so another CT scan is in the works.  I have also been advised to double my hydrocortisone until I am well.

Let me take a moment to encourage you, if you suffer from Addison's and have multiple off days, don't be shy about visiting your doctor.  It could very well be an underlying condition exacerbating the Addison symptoms. 

Sometimes part of fighting back, for me, is making a visit to the dreaded doctor.  I really need to change that misconception that I have of them.  Maybe too many shots as a child?  Not sure where that avoidance comes from. 

For the rest of the day I am planning on looking up some Classics on Netflix and snuggling into my sofa confident that the antibiotics and extra cortisol are doing their job.  Any good movie recommendations for me?

Blessings,
Alicia

2 comments: