Saturday, May 12, 2012

The slipery slope of chronic illness....

Addison's Disease is a chronic illness, one that has been referred to as the "invisible" illness. Sometimes, it's even invisible to me, but other days it's very visible.  Today is one of those days.  It's just the reality of the disease.  Some days are fine, others are great, and others are just plain sad....yet I'm determined to find joy in all circumstances.

My mind, heart and soul all have so much that they want to do, but some days my body just doesn't seem to cooperate.  I can usually tell when my body is off when I begin wheezing with a croupy cough accompanied by a lower backache and a dark circle under the eye feeling.  This is my cue to take extra cortisol.  Although, sometimes all the rest and medication don't change anything...sometimes I just have to wait till it passes.  I am learning to make the most out of my energetic, symptom free days, and to be patient with my body on days like today.

I'm having to redefine my idea of success.  Success to me (prior to diagnosis) is being busy and active and cramming all kinds of activity and excitement into a day as possible.  Yet, I'm learning that the quiet and still times can also leave me with some very sweet moments as well.  I'm learning to take joy in the small things...like coloring my roots and sipping on coffee while listening to my old scratchy records.  Later today, I think I'll plan a pedicure day with my daughter and a card game with my husband.  I can choose to be frustrated with the inconsistency of this disease, or I can choose to be flexible, go with the flow, and find joy in all things.  I'm a work in progress, but aren't we all?

PS~On days like today, my crock pot is a lifesaver!  Based on how I felt when I woke up, I could pretty much tell that I wouldn't feel like going to the store today or cooking a big meal.  Eating out usually just makes me feel worse, so I grabbed my crock pot and a crock pot liner, threw in what I had and bingo....lunch and dinner!  Here's what I came up with:

Chicken tenders (about 20)
1 onion
2 tbs. of cilantro
1 can of green chile's
10 cherry tomatoes
1/4 cup of chicken broth
Cook on high

I'll shred the chicken once it's cooked, serve with rice for lunch, and make chicken wraps for dinner.  I got this!!

Blessings!
Alicia

No comments:

Post a Comment